- Areas of Service
Florida Mangroves and Trimming
Mangroves are tropical trees that are restricted to the calm intertidal areas of Florida where temperatures do not usually drop below freezing for prolonged periods. They generally exist south of St. Augustine on the east coast, and from Cedar Key south on the West Coast. There are three species of mangroves in Florida: Red Mangrove, White Mangrove, and Black Mangrove. They are generally not found in freshwater systems due to competition with other species, and other factors.
Mangroves provide many benefits to us and our environment. Some of benefits include: resistance of shoreline erosion; food habitat for marine food chain; improvement of water quality; and protection of homes from severe wind damage.
Due to the rapid growth of mangroves and the potential dense thickets, many property owners choose to cut their mangroves to improve the view of the water. While this may maximize the view, if not done correctly could cause unintentional harm and/or killing of the mangroves. Because of the environmental benefits and the potential harm of unregulated trimming, the Mangrove Trimming and Preservation Act of 1996 was developed to protect and control the trimming and alteration of mangroves statewide.
The Act of 1996 created very specific guidelines which are regulated by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP). Requirements include a either a General Permit (GP) or an Individual Permit (IP), unless the activity qualifies for one or more of the mangrove trimming exemptions for homeowners. Learn more about Mangrove Trimming Exemptions.
Hans Wilson & Associates works with our clients on a regular basis to ensure compliance with environmental agencies when trimming, removing, or mitigation for mangroves. Call us for more information regarding what can and cannot be trimmed, removed or mitigated.
"To provide quality, cost effective consulting and engineering design services, balancing the impact of human development in the marine environment."
Hans Wilson & Associates, Inc.
1938 Hill Ave.
Ft. Myers, FL 33901
Phone (239) 334-6870
Fax (239) 334-7810
- Don’t Miss the 41st Annual Fort Myers Boat Show ~ November 14-17, 2013
- Great News ~ Hans Wilson has been appointed to Florida’s Boating Advisory Council
- SWFMIA 2013 Annual Dinner
- Catch up on Andros Gold aka Dwight’s West Side Story
- Don’t miss parts 2 and 3 of Andros Gold – Dwight’s West Side Story
- Go Boating Florida ~ Andros Gold Blog
- Water Reuse Week, May 19-25
- Southwest Florida Marine Industries Association ~ Welcome To The Water
- DEP NEWS~March 2013 Seagrass Awareness Month
- Hans Wilson Interview ~ Ask An Expert ~ WINK 1200 AM